Responding to Clergy Misconduct - Leadership Training - April 2013
This training will prepare you to effectively use your policy and procedures when addressing complaints of clergy misconduct and boundary violations.
Apr 14, 2013 01:15 PM
Apr 16, 2013 12:00 PM
|Pacific Time Zone|
Rev. Dr. Marie Fortune & Rev. ML Daniel, Esq.
|Contact Name||Carolyn Scott Brown|
|Contact Phone||206-634-1903, ext. 23|
|Add event to calendar||
When prevention fails and a faith leader violates the boundaries of a pastoral or teaching relationship, it is critical that a judicatory or organization have a policy in place to respond and then use that process appropriately. This training will focus on a clear understanding of what clergy misconduct is, what boundary violations are, and what are the appropriate aspects of response to a complaint including investigation, adjudication, and possible actions of discipline or exoneration. We will provide a theological foundation for this process and emphasize a supportive response to complainants, respondents and congregations.
- Prepare judicatory leaders to respond to misconduct by clergy and spiritual leaders.
- Expand the biblical and theological foundations for an appropriate response to clergy misconduct.
- Review the importance of an awareness of power and vulnerability within pastoral/teaching relationships.
- Look critically at policy and procedure issues including investigation and adjudication.
- Address legal concerns.
- Address communication concerns post-disclosure of abuse.
Who Should Participate:
Judicatory or organizational leaders (clergy and laity) who are responsible for responding to complaints of clergy misconduct
Prerequiste: Strongly recommended 101 level boundary training
Pre-Course Assignment: Read Sex and the Spiritual Teacher
Two-day In-person classroom training
Session I: A Common Framework
Session II: It's All About Power
Session III: Policy and Procedure: Making it Work
Course Materials included in training fee: Responding to Clergy Misconduct Handbook; DVDs Not In My Church & Once You Cross the Line; Is Nothing Sacred? By Marie Fortune; Sex and the Spiritual Teacher by Scott Edelstein
Fees and Registration
- $750 Early Registration per participant, extended until March 29, 2013
- $850 per participant after Monday, April 1, 2013
- $725 per person group rate or returning participants; Call for details.
- This training event will be held at the Residence Inn, Seattle, WA. Click here for more Travel and Accommodations Information.
- Click here for Training Event Information.
Sorry, registration is closed for this event.